TOOTH CONTOURING AND RESHAPING
A subtle change to a particular tooth can make all the difference to a person’s smile. With cosmetic tooth contouring and reshaping, visible changes to the length, shape, and position of your existing teeth can be made in the least invasive way possible.
Your smile can easily become more symmetrical. Minor overlapping of teeth, as well as any cracks, chips, or other imperfections in the teeth, can be corrected during one appointment, usually at a small cost.
How is tooth contouring and reshaping carried out?
- To begin with, a digital X-ray will be taken in order to obtain an accurate picture of the extent of the treatment. This will also ensure that the pulp of the tooth is a significant distance away from the area being contoured and reshaped.
- Following this, a small mark will be made on the teeth being treated to provide a guide to the extent of contouring needed. Dr. Richter will confirm with you to ensure you are happy with the extent of reshaping.
- A sanding drill will then be utilized to remove small amounts of enamel gradually, then abrasive strips are used to shape the sides of the affected teeth.
- To finish the procedure, the newly shaped teeth will be smoothed and polished to give them a natural, attractive appearance and a smooth surface. A follow-up visit may be required to assure optimum results.
Do I qualify for the treatment?
Tooth contouring can make small changes to teeth by removing small amounts of enamel from them. If you’d like to correct minor flaws in your smile, enamel contouring could be the right option for you if you have:
- Asymmetrical teeth
- Minor overlapping
- Cracks or surface chips
- Minor alignment concerns
- Sharp or dull-looking teeth
Any individual wishing for his or her teeth to appear more in line and less uneven, especially at the tooth tips, can schedule a complimentary consultation.
Will Cosmetic Tooth Contouring Require Novocaine?
Due to the simple and superficial nature of the treatment, the tooth is not usually placed under anesthetic during the course of drilling. However, for individuals who experience anxiety over slight pain, a novocaine injection may be administered in order for Dr. Richter to perform the intricate sculpting with minimal disturbance.
Other Cosmetic Dental Procedures To Improve Your Smile
At Cariodontal, Dr. Richter and his dental team are able to carry out a number of alternative cosmetic dental procedures to create a beautiful and healthy smile. Often, these can be used to complement the effects of tooth contouring and reshaping.
- Teeth whitening prior to tooth contouring is used to improve the shade and color of a discolored tooth.
- Dental veneers are often used to make improvements to your smile alongside the sculpturing process. Tooth contouring should be limited to small alterations. if large amounts of protective enamel are removed from the teeth, they may become weaker, sensitive, and vulnerable to bacteria. Dental veneers are a great alternative if larger changes to teeth are necessary.
- Dental crowns are often used in cases where a tooth has become severely damaged, chipped, or discolored.
- Invisalign®, which are clear braces, can be used to straighten severely crooked and overlapping teeth.
- Tooth bonding can be used to increase tooth length without any damage to the underlying tooth. Alterations to the length, shape, or position of teeth with composite bonding will improve their appearance.